KC-area restaurant, brewery openings, closing November 2022
Here’s our monthly update of Kansas City area restaurant, coffee shop and brewery openings and what will be coming soon.
The metro is losing a barbecue restaurant but gained two more — one in North Kansas City, another in Raytown. It lost Mickey’s Hideaway in Westport and Mickey’s Italian Ristorante in Shawnee. A midtown coffee shop closed but was quickly replaced. And new restaurants have opened on the East Side, in Leawood, Lee’s Summit and Lawrence.
Many new openings have been pushed back due to supply chain and staffing issues.
▪ Black Wall Street, 5908 Prospect Ave.
▪ Calaveras, 219 S.E. Main St., Lee’s Summit.
▪ Cold Stone Creamery and Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, Ward Parkway Center, 8600 Ward Parkway.
▪ District Biskuits, 504 Armour Road, North Kansas City.
▪ Dutch Bros Coffee, 4131 S. Little Blue Parkway, Independence.
▪ F325 BBQ, 1825 Buchanan St., North Kansas City.
▪ Family Kitchen, inside Main Event, 8081 N.W. Roanridge Road; 4600 S. Cochise Court, Independence; and 11950 N. Kansas City Road, Olathe.
▪ Five Guys Burgers and Fries, Bluhawk, 7733 W. 159th St., Overland Park.
▪ Harp Barbecue, 6633 Raytown Road, Raytown.
▪ JB’s Cali Fusion, 805 Vermont St., Lawrence.
▪ One More Scoop, ice cream shop, 3522 N.E. Vivion Road.
▪ Post Coffee Co., 3550 Broadway.
▪ Rochester Brewing and Roasting Co., 100 S. Main St., Parkville.
▪ The Rockhill Grille, Town Center Crossing, 4311 W. 119th St., Leawood.
▪ Tiki Taco, 5400 Troost Ave.
▪ Tortilla Ranch, 6029 Metcalf Ave., Mission.
▪ Two Sugars, 1412 Westport Road.
▪ Wingstop, 31 N.W. Barry Road.
▪ Corner Bakery Cafe, Camelot Court, 11705 Roe Ave., Leawood.
▪ Mickey’s Hideaway, Westport, 4057 Pennsylvania Ave.
▪ Mickey’s Italian Ristorante, 22716 Midland Drive, Shawnee.
▪ Monarch Coffee, 3560 Broadway and 2345 Grand Blvd.
▪ Papa Keno’s Pizzeria has temporarily closed at 14850 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park.
▪ Pizza Shoppe, 7908 W. 151st St., Overland Park.
▪ Smokin Guns BBQ & Catering, 1218 Swift St., North Kansas City. Plans to close Friday.
▪ AME Golf & Brew, Oak Park Mall, 11149 W. 95th St., Overland Park. Plans to open after Thanksgiving.
▪ The Bar at Prairie Village, 5316 W. 95th St., Prairie Village. No opening date was available.
▪ Brick River Cider Co., 1701 McGee St. After Thanksgiving.
▪ Brkthrough, Corbin Park, 6403 W. 135th St., Suite E4, Overland Park. Games, bar, eatery. It hopes to open in late November or early December.
▪ Cactus Jacks Saloon & Whiskey Grill, 14816 U.S. 40 highway. No opening date was available.
▪ Capital One Cafe, Country Club Plaza, 430 Nichols Road. Fall.
▪ Chingu, 4117 Pennsylvania Ave. in Westport. Planned to open for to-go only Nov. 10, and dine-in in late November.
▪ City Club Apartments, 1989 Main St. Chef Howard Hanna plans to open two operations — Afi natural wine bar and Small Axe modern diner — on the first floor of the apartments. Later this year.
▪ Crumbl Cookies, 9008 N.W. Skyview Ave. December opening.
▪ Enzo, City Market, 20 E. Fifth St., Suite 100. Hopes to open later this month.
▪ First Watch, 9021 N. Ambassador Drive. Early December opening.
▪ Friction Beer Co., 11018 Johnson Drive, Shawnee. Hopes to open in December.
▪ Gus’s World Famous Fried Chicken, 636 N.E. Missouri 291, Lee’s Summit, in early December, and 8017 to 8019 E. 171st St. in Belton in 2023.
▪ The Halal Guys: 8702 N.E. Flintlock Road, Liberty. No opening date was available.
▪ IHOP, 2909 Burlington St., North Kansas City, by the end of the year.
▪ Jack n’ Diane’s Dueling Piano Bar, 3951 Broadway. Hopes to open by the end of the year.
▪ Jim’s Alley Bar, 500 E. 18th St., Suite 102. Late November.
▪ Kata Nori Hand Roll Bar, Crossroads, 404 E. 18th St. No opening date was available.
▪ La Fresca, crepes and ice cream, 928 E. Old Highway 56, Olathe. By the end of the month.
▪ Leawood Wine & Liquor, 7960 Lee Blvd., Leawood. No opening date was available.
▪ Los Abuelos Cantina, Oak Park Mall, 11149 W. 95th St., Overland Park. Later this month.
▪ Meddy’s Mediterranean Eatery & Craft Bar, Corinth Quarter, 4105 W. 83rd St., Prairie Village. By the end of the year.
▪ Mo’ Bettahs Hawaiian Style Food, 11316 W. Kansas St., Liberty. Nov. 18 opening.
▪ Mother Clucker, 5930 Nieman Road, Shawnee. By the end of the year.
▪ 92 Chicken, 525 Wakarusa Drive, Suite D, Lawrence. Fall opening.
▪ Panda Express, at the northwest corner of 159th Street and Metcalf Avenue in Overland Park. No opening date was available.
▪ Rancho’s, 3214 Main St. Opening soon.
▪ Rise Southern Biscuits & Righteous Chicken, Deer Creek Marketplace, 7060 W. 135th St., Overland Park. Winter opening.
▪ 7 Brew Coffee, multiple locations including Blue Springs, 2220 S. Missouri 291 in Independence; 11007 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park; and 8001 Santa Fe Drive, Overland Park; as well as in Blue Springs, the Northland and Lee’s Summit. No opening dates were available.
▪ Serv, entertainment complex, 91st Street and Metcalf Avenue, Overland Park. Food operators, bar, coffee kiosk, pickleball and more. Early-to-mid December.
▪ Strang Chef Collective at Lightwell, 1100 Main St., Suite 101. Hopes to open on Nov. 14.
▪ Strang Reserve, 8020 Marty St., Overland Park. A 7,000-square-foot event space catered by the chefs at Strang Hall. Late 2022 opening.
▪ Tacos 4 Life, 1105 N.W. Missouri 7, Blue Springs. Hopes to open Nov. 15.
▪ Thirsty Bull Saloon, 8132 N.W. Prairie View Road. Hopes to open this weekend with a grand opening Nov. 23.
▪ 39th Street Brewery, 1320 W. 39th St. Hopes to open by the end of the year.
▪ Waterbird Coffee Co., 1200 McGee St. By the end of the month.
▪ Whataburger. 1921 W. Foxwood Drive in Raymore; 11300 Nall Ave., Overland Park; and 9505 Metcalf Ave. in Overland Park; and Metro North Crossing, 400 N.W. Barry Road. By the end of the year.
▪ Andy’s Frozen Custard, 11220 Nall Ave., Overland Park. Late January.
▪ Barrio Taqueria, 408 E. 31st St. Hopes to open in early 2023.
▪ The Big Biscuit, 7017 Johnson Drive, Mission. Late winter opening.
▪ Blue Sushi Sake Grill, Power & Light District, 101 E. 14th St. Mid-to-late January.
▪ Bo Lings Chinese Restaurant, 108 E. Fifth St. Early 2023.
▪ Bob Wasabi Kitchen is still looking for a new Kansas City home.
▪ Bread Zeppelin is looking for area franchisees.
▪ Cafe Europa, 4343 W. 119th St., Leawood. Hopes to open before spring 2023.
▪ Chick N Max is looking for area franchisees.
▪ Cosmo Ltd., 709 W. 17th St. A Colorado developer plans to convert a former carriage house (later Brooks Auto) into a coffee shop and bar in 2023. Cosmo is the holding company for the yet to be named venue.
▪ The Crack Shack, 9292 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park. Early 2023.
▪ Dave’s Hot Chicken. A new franchisee plans 10 area locations. The first is scheduled to open at 4121 Broadway in Westport, in the late first quarter of 2023. Another, at 9097 Metcalf Ave. in Overland Park, is scheduled to open in mid-2023.
▪ Dessert Pocket Bakery, 11880 W. 91st St., Overland Park. Early January.
▪ Dickey’s Barbecue Pit website lists a new location at 11902 Blue Ridge Blvd., Suite J, Grandview. But all a spokesman would say was, “While Dickey’s is exploring an increased presence in that area, we cannot officially announce anything at this time.”
▪ Dunkin Donuts, 17701 E. 39th St., Independence. The location has been in the works for more than a year but a spokeswoman for the company did not have any update on why it has not opened.
▪ Dutch Bros Coffee, 18181 W. 101st St., Lenexa; 11220 S. Lone Elm Road in Olathe; and 14075 W. 135th St., Olathe. No opening dates were available.
▪ Fareway Meat Market, Valley View Shoppes, Missouri 152 and North Shoal Creek Valley Drive near Liberty, in May 2023.
▪ Hawaiian Bros Island Grill, Metro North Crossing, U.S. 169 and Barry Road, and at 11928 S. Strang Line Road in Olathe. No opening dates were available.
▪ HomeGrown, 11705 Roe Ave., Leawood. Spring 2023.
▪ IHOP, 11111 W. 95th St., Overland Park, for first quarter 2023.
▪ Johnny Kaw’s Outback, 4124 Pennsylvania Ave. Spring or summer opening.
▪ Johnny’s Tavern, 716 W. Foxwood Drive, Raymore. Early 2023 opening.
▪ Joy Wok Super Buffet Hibachi Sushi, 8406 Wornall Road. Early 2023.
▪ Justus Drugstore plans to open a midtown location in March or April.
▪ Meshuggah Bagels, Valley View Shoppes, Missouri 152 and Booth Avenue. Early 2023.
▪ Messenger Coffee Co. and Ibis Bakery, Prairiefire, 135th Street and Nall Avenue, Overland Park. Hopes to open in the early second quarter of 2023.
▪ Mission Taco Joint, Park Place, 11563 Ash St., Leawood. 2023 opening.
▪ Modern Market Eatery plans to open restaurants in the Kansas City area.
▪ 151 Coffee, two Overland Park shops are in the works but no opening dates were available.
▪ The Other Place, 6522 Martway St., Mission. Early 2023 opening.
▪ Panera, Sonoma Plaza, 87th Street Parkway and Maurer Road in Lenexa. Spring opening.
▪ Paris Baguette, 11111 W. 95th St., Overland Park. Summer 2023.
▪ Parkway Coffee & Bistro, 3744 Broadway. No opening date was available.
▪ Perry’s Steakhouse & Grille, Town Center Plaza, Leawood, in a new building on the north side near Hereford House. An early 2024 opening is scheduled.
▪ PT’s Coffee Roasting Co., 8139 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park. Plans are still on hold.
▪ Puttery, 4641 Jefferson St., indoor, high-tech mini golf course with bars and lounge areas. Early spring.
▪ Stockyards Brewing Co., 10310 Mastin St., Overland Park. Early 2023.
▪ Taco Bell, 3010 to 3026 Van Brunt Blvd. Second or third quarter of 2023 opening.
▪ Taco Hangover, 13655 W. 63rd St., Shawnee. Late November opening. Another Taco Hangover is scheduled for Lenexa in 2023.
▪ Texas Roadhouse, 9761 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park. No opening date was available.
▪ Ting’s Filipino Bistro, 1803 W. 39th St. Plans are on hold.
▪ Transport Brewery, 131 E. Main St., Gardner. May open New Year’s Eve.
▪ Via313 Pizzeria, 9292 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park. Summer opening.
▪ Vintage ‘78 Wine Bar, 7251 W. 80th St., Overland Park. Mid-to-late January opening.
▪ Whataburger: 2023 openings at 5630 Bannister Road; 14123 W. 135th St., Olathe (near Menards); 9100 block of Missouri 45, Parkville; Missouri 152 and North Booth Avenue (near Liberty); Bluhawk, 7791 W. 159th St., Overland Park; and 8851 N. Ambassador Drive. It also is listed on plans submitted to Lawrence for a site at 707 W. 23rd St.
▪ Wienerschnitzel wants to return to the Kansas City market.